Archivist – Collections and Research
£16.48 per hour
35 hours a week
About the company
We are presently recruiting for a Qualified Archivist for our Research Charity client in London. This is a 5-month Fixed Term Contract to cover a secondment within the team. You will join and work closely with a multidisciplinary Collections and Research Team which includes librarians, archivists and documentation officers, continuing the development, discoverability and accessibility of the organisations unique and distinctive collections.
The successful candidate will hold a professional postgraduate qualification in Archive Administration / Management with solid experience of archival collections management systems, particularly cataloguing and access-related functions.
- To develop a high level of professional skill, taking a flexible approach to catalogue a wide range of library materials, with a focus on our printed and published collections.
- Appraising, sorting, arranging and cataloguing selected material.
- Responding to offers of material; surveying collections; maintaining relationships with donors and depositors; and organising the transfer, accessioning and box-listing of new acquisitions.
- Ensuring data quality in accordance with organisational specifications, user need and relevant national and international standards.
- Contributing to the agile and iterative development and testing of potential new approaches to cataloguing, metadata and acquisitions work, demonstrating a desire to experiment and find creative solutions.
- Working adaptably across a wide range of library material, both analogue and digital.
- Handling personal and other sensitive data in accordance with UK Data Protection legislation and organisational policies, including undertaking sensitivity reviews when appropriate.
- Promoting selected material to new and existing audiences.
- Contributing to the delivery of a high-quality public service by undertaking enquiry and reference work, including answering email and telephone enquiries, working on appropriate service points on a rota basis, and by other means.
- Undertaking occasional evening and week-end work, as required.
- Undertake their work in accordance with organisational principles and policies.
- Undertake any other work that may be reasonably required from time to time.
- Train, coach and mentor para-professionals, trainees, apprentices, work placements and others as appropriate
Why you’ll be hired
To be considered for this role you will require:
- Professional professional postgraduate qualification in Archive Administration / Management
- Solid experience of archival collections management systems, particularly cataloguing and access-related functions.
- Knowledge and experience of specialist cataloguing standards in related fields (eg. Manuscripts cataloguing)
- Knowledge and experience of widely used archival standards and schema including ISAD(G) and ISAAR
- Working knowledge of UK legislative frameworks relating to collections information and access (Data Protection and Copyright)
- Basic knowledge of alternative models of archival description
- Experience of using CALM software
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to communicate and build relationships with a wide range of people both internally and externally to the business
- Ability to assimilate, understand and retain complex knowledge
- Work accurately with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work well within a team, encouraging good ideas
Why you should apply
This is a great opportunity for an experienced Archivist to put their skills and knowledge to use
If you are interested in learning more information about the role.
Please get in touch on 020 7378 5468 or Ioanna.email@example.com