Contract position until March 2019
About the company
We are recruiting for an Archivist to manage the Archives Services for our local authority client. You will assist in providing an efficient and effective Local History and Archives Service to the community in accordance with the authority’s vision. You will also work with the Local Studies Librarian in the total service delivery of the Information and Heritage Service.
What you’ll be doing
- Work as part of the Local History and Archives team to provide a quality service to local communities in accordance with the policies of the Library & Information Service as a whole. Meet the targets and objectives set for the Local History & Archives Centre and provide the required service within allocated budgets.
- Act as the professional lead on all aspects of Archive work for the Library & Information service. Ensure best practice at all times.
- Acquire materials to ensure that the Archive collections are as comprehensive as possible. Ensure that appropriate records are secured and available for reference purposes. Devise, recommend and implement collection and other policies for archives as required. Seek out and arrange for the transfer, deposit, donation or purchase of archives in accordance with agreed collections policies. Participate in any records management programme.
- Plan, implement and co-ordinate agreed Archive strategies to ensure that the service is meeting both user needs and statutory obligations. Ensure that the role of the Archives service is featured in local educational and cultural strategies.
- Establish ICT priorities and work with other senior staff to implement ICT systems for the listing, indexing and retrieval of archive resources in accordance with archive principles.
- Maintain an awareness of developments in ICT and undergo relevant training to develop the use of computer-based information systems for the Archives Service. Manage the Local History and Heritage section of the website in accordance with web guidelines and standards.
- Design systems to regularly gather, interpret and use information relating to Archive activity and usage, which ensures accurate costing of all activity in relation to its value to the communities of the borough.
- Identify and follow up agreed external funding or partnership opportunities, which aim to improve the delivery of Archive services. Make funding and/or sponsorship applications and act as project leader as required for successful bids.
- Actively seek out unmet Archive needs, explore new relationships and develop new ways of working, in order to develop awareness of the role of Archives in conserving the heritage of local communities. Ensure integration with other relevant aspects of Education and Culture activity as appropriate.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the service provided through analysis of management information, and any relevant performance indicators.
- Complete monitoring and evaluation documentation, produce reports and statistical data and recommend action to achieve change. Develop standards, targets and performance indicators in line with local, regional and national requirements.
- Respond positively to enquiries and give professional advice and guidance to users of the Local Studies & Archives Centre. Assist in organising the Centre to meet the needs of users and potential users.
- Contribute to the strategic planning and development of the Library & Information service, including the Annual Library Plan, Best Value reviews and other service policies and strategies as a member of the senior management team.
- Work with the Local Studies Librarian and other senior staff to provide appropriate promotional events and outreach activities which enable people to develop an understanding of the role of archives in the development of local heritage strategies.
- Ensure that outreach and promotional activities and events take account of and meet the needs of minority groups and the disabled.
- Assist with the training of staff working in the Local Studies & Archives Centre and also with the training of library staff to develop an awareness of archives and the Archives service. Teach information handling and retrieval skills as appropriate.
- Ensure effective two-way communication, both verbal and written, for staff on issues relevant to the delivery and promotion of the Archives Service.
- As required, represent the Library & Information Service at appropriate professional and other forums to develop and maintain contacts which lead to improvements for the service. Disseminate professional ideas and practice to staff by written communication and through training and awareness sessions.
- Contribute to the development of the Information & Heritage Service and the Library & Information Service as a whole. Contribute to project work within the team, developing service strategies and preparing specifications.
- Undertake relevant duties and responsibilities as required by the Service Manager for Libraries & Information Services.
Why you’ll be hired
To be considered for this role you will require:
- Ideally qualified within Archive Management
- Front line service experience
- Proficiency in using Excel spreadsheets to sort and manage data, including text
- Knowledge and experience of library cataloguing standards, particularly MARC21 and RDA
Why you should apply
This is a great opportunity for someone to assist with the continuing service within this local authority
This role is paying a very competitive hourly rate of £16.17
If you are interested in learning more: Please get in touch on 020 7378 5459 or on firstname.lastname@example.org