£12.88 per hour
35 hours a week
Contract until end of March 2019
About the company
A London based, highly regarded, higher education client has a requirement for a Finance Administrator to cover on a temporary basis until the end of March 2019, working within the Mechanical Engineering Department reporting directly to Senior Research Finance Administrator
What you’ll be doing
This role sits within the Department’s professional services team and focuses on providing
secretarial and administrative support to the Finance Team. The role holder will also sit on the main
reception desk to help cover times when the dedicated receptionist is not available.
The Assistant Finance Administrator reports to the Senior Research Finance Administrator but liaises
daily with the Procurement Administrator and the other Assistant Finance Administrator, and works
closely with a number of academic staff, Researchers and PhD students. The role holder is expected
to manage his / her duties effectively and without close supervision.
The role holder muse be efficient, organised and take great care in attention to detail. In addition,
the role requires interaction with many people within and external to thus a professional
attitude, willingness to help and a positive outlook are required in order adequately execute the
- The following is a description of the main duties undertaken; it is not intended as a complete list.
- Supporting a range of financial operations within the Department in accordance with financial regulations and procedures. This includes placing orders, processing internal transfers and assisting with costings/grant applications
- Helping with induction for dept visitors.
- Deputising for the Procurement Administrator and Assistant Finance Administrator as required.
- Maintaining own continuing professional development.
- Actively following and promoting policies, including Equal Opportunities.
- Maintaining an awareness and observation of fire and health and safety regulations.
- To print and photocopy reports, meeting papers etc. as required.
- Phone calls and taking messages as appropriate.
- To assist with researching standard information for others as required.
- To assist with financial activities such as processing orders and expenses.
- To cover reception.
- To establish and maintain filing and office systems.
- To check and maintain stocks of stationery, common room supplies and equipment (photocopiers, printers etc.)
- To manage room bookings and catering arrangements for meeting, workshops, seminars etc. as required.
- Meetings and committee servicing
- To assist the professional services team with ad hoc committee servicing (including contacting attendees, minute taking, booking rooms and refreshments etc.)
- To maintain committee documentation, including the regular updating of the committees section of the staff intranet.
- To raise costings for research grants using worktribe.
- To liaise with Research Services staff to enable the submission and approval of grant applications.
- To set-up new account codes for non-research projects.
- To assist with the completion, checking and processing of expense and travel claim forms.
- To raise requisition and purchase orders using MyFinance (Oracle).
- To update financial records filling in relevant folders, databases and spreadsheets.
- To assist the Research & Finance team with financial procedures for month and year end.
The role holder may be required to occasionally work irregular hours in accordance with the needs of the role. Such requirements will always be considered in conjunction with the Work-Life Balance Policy. Where this involves working additional hours the role holder will receive time off in lieu.
Annual leave cannot normally be taken at those times of the year where this is a significant amount of departmental administration activity, this includes start of year preparations (late September, early October).
Information of a confidential nature must be kept strictly confidential and should never be disclosed either inside or outside work.
The Assistant Finance Administrator works as part of the Department’s professional services team and as such is expected to assist with peaks in workload in other areas of the administration, as requested by the Senior Research Finance Administrator, or Departmental Manager.
This job description details most of the duties that are at the core of the Assistant Finance Administrator. However, the post requires adaptability to changing needs and will necessarily include other tasks as may be required from time to time.
The role holder will actively follow policies including Equal Opportunities policies and be expected to give consideration within their role as to how they can actively advance equality of opportunity and good relations between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
The role holder will maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations.
Why you’ll be hired
To be considered for this role you will:
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues at all levels
- Be educated to a minimum of 5 GCSE’S including English and Maths and have similar work experience
- Have knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Readiness to acquire new skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritise own work and work with others
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team and able to work towards common goals
- Methodical and accurate approach to work
- Commitment to equal opportunity and the ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and students of all cultures and backgrounds
Why you should apply
This is a fantastic opportunity to work with a highly regarded, higher educational client
This role is paying a very competitive salary of £12.88 per hour
If you are interested in learning more: Please get in touch on 020 7378 5458 or on firstname.lastname@example.org