North West London
£17.24 per hour
Contract until end of Jan 2019
Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
About the company
Our client, a Higher Educational provider is seeking to recruit a Liaison Librarian to provide support for the academic work of the students and staff of specified departments, and develop the collections, to enhance the student experience in accordance with teaching priorities
What you’ll be doing
- To develop close links with specified departments within a School, ensuring that a significant amount of time is spent within the School, for example by attending meetings, boards of study, formal and informal events, research seminars as appropriate, liaising with academic and administrative staff so that the role holder becomes embedded within the daily life of the School.
- To promote and support all Library and Student Support services and initiatives within specified departments in Schools and provide systematic feedback to senior members of the Teaching and Research Support directorate.
- Take responsibility for the management of the resources, supporting specified School departments. Liaise closely with members of the Bibliographic Services team to ensure that new materials are purchased in numbers and at times which will best serve student needs,
- Review subscriptions in both print and online regularly in collaboration with other members of the Library Services Directorate as well as appropriate academic staff in the specified departments to ensure collections develop in accordance with teaching and research priorities
- To manage the information resources budget for designated subject area(s) and contribute to decision making about future spending by analysing management information.
- Assist the Liaison Manager in the selection and recruitment of staff
- Participate in the development and delivery of information literacy programmes using new and emerging technologies to support students and staff of the School and University.
- In collaboration with members of the Library Services directorate, develop:
- Self-instructional materials for students and staff in the use of learning and information resources in hard copy and online.
- Online information and support through web sites, the VLE, Libguides and Ask a Librarian
- Work with members of the Library Services Directorate and other colleagues within Learning Resources in the development of special projects relating to learning and teaching support, acting as a team member or where appropriate as team leader.
- Deliver information skills sessions for students of the specified departments to ensure the effective use of Library and Student Support services, resources and facilities, taking into account the changing needs of students and advances in technology.
- Provide an expert advice service using a range of formats including drop-ins, appointments, open surgeries etc using appropriate technology to meet student learning needs.
- Support academic staff and researchers in a specified School’s departments, by assessing their information needs and providing appropriate support.
- Promote and support the use of the Research Repository in collaboration with other members of the Teaching and Research Support Directorate.
- Take part in departmental and University activities which occur during evenings and at weekends such as teaching sessions, open evenings etc.
- Develop professional interests associated with the needs of the University, including maintaining a good understanding of relevant national/international trends, strategies and initiatives in the higher education sector.
- To undertake any other duties and specific projects as may reasonably be required by senior staff of the Library Services Directorate.
Who you will be
- To have a degree and a post-graduate qualification in Librarianship/Information Science
- Evidence of continuing ability to learn
- Membership of CILIP (Desirable)
- Experience of working with budgets and financial control (Desirable)
- To have experience of delivering academic support services or equivalent at higher education level
- To have experience of designing and delivering information skills training workshops
- To have an awareness of current issues in higher education
- To have excellent communication, liaison and presentation skills
- To possess excellent organisational skills
- To have good IT skills and be able to apply them to meet the needs of the School’s students and staff
- To have a demonstrable understanding of the practical and pedagogical issues facing university staff and students
Why you should apply
Fantastic opportunity for an experienced Librarian to provide services to a highly regarded client
If you are interested in learning more: Please get in touch on 020 7378 5459 or on firstname.lastname@example.org