Local Studies Librarian
South East London
£16.17 per hour
35 hours a week (Working 2 out of 3 Saturdays)
3–6 month contract
About the company
Are you looking for a Local Studies Librarian job?
We are presently recruiting for a South London public library service who requires a Local Studies Librarian to work on a 3 to 6 month contract supporting the Archivist in providing a high-level service by managing, promoting and developing the Local History & Archives collections, and promoting and marketing the services of the Local History Centre.
- Provide a quality service which meets the needs of local communities in accordance with the policies of the Library & Information Service and the Council as a whole. Meet the targets and objectives set for the Local History & Archives Centre and provide the required service within allocated budgets.
- Act as professional lead on all aspects of Local Studies work for the Library & Information service. Ensure best practice at all times
- Lead and direct the work of staff as allocated to the Local History and Archives Centre
- Acquire materials to ensure that the collections are as comprehensive as possible. Seek out and arrange for the transfer, deposit, donation or purchase of relevant material in accordance with agreed collections policies. Record materials and where appropriate catalogue and index this material.
- Assist with the planning, implementation and co-ordination of agreed heritage strategies to ensure that the service is meeting both user needs and other obligations. Ensure that the role of the Centre’s service is featured in local educational and cultural strategies.
- Contribute to the safety and security of the public, staff, premises, stock and equipment, and the maintenance of good order and the proper use of the Centre in accordance with rules, regulations and established procedures.
- Give professional advice and guidance to members of the public, Council departments and outside organisations, on Local Studies matters, to ensure the provision of an effective and efficient service that meets the needs of the community within allocated resources. Respond positively to correspondence and personal enquiries and provide user education. Teach information handling skills as required.
- In consultation with the Service Development Librarian (Marketing), market and promote the Centre’s service by talks, visits, displays and events. Maintain regular contact with groups and organisation, visit them and facilitate their visits to the Centre.
- Assist the Archivist with the development of the Local History publications programme, and assist in customer surveys, promotions and other marketing initiatives. Actively seek to publish new and relevant titles, liasing with relevant Council departments to ensure their efficient production.
- Work with other appropriate colleagues to present displays and exhibitions of the Centre’s materials, to educate and inform the local communities on the history and heritage of the Borough.
- As required, take the lead and co-ordinate local studies initiatives and undertake or contribute to other projects/tasks that will enable the delivery of the Council’s services to be made as effectively and efficiently as possible.
- Assist with the training of staff, working in the Local History & Archives Centre, and also with the training of library staff, to develop an awareness of Local History and Archives Centre.
- Assist the Archivist with monitoring the effectiveness of the service by providing the required statistics and data. Contribute to the development of standards, targets and performance indicators in line with local, regional and national requirements.
- Undertake relevant duties and responsibilities as required by the Head of Libraries and Information
Why you’ll be hired
- Chartered or qualified Librarian, Archival qualification or equivalent practical experience
- Background working in a local history/archives/museums environment.
- Knowledge of managing a local history and archives service
- Knowledge of sources of information for local studies
- Functional expert in the use of ICT for information storage and retrieval
- Ideally have experience working with schools to promote the local studies service.
Why you should apply
If you have a passion for local history, a background working in a local studies library, archive or special collection, and a commitment to helping users access unique and historic library materials then this is the job for you.
If you are interested in learning more information about the role.
Please get in touch on 020 7378 5468 or Ioanna.email@example.com