£37,066 per year
over 2 years ago
Senior Advisor Access to Information
Monday to Friday
9.00am – 5.30pm
About the company
An independent, London-based body set up by UK Parliament that helps to regulate and set certain standards is now looking for a Senior Advisor Access to Information to join their small team with an emphasis on providing leadership to the team that administer and support the organisation wide Freedom of Information and Data Protection policies and procedures. Working within a small team you will to ensure that the organisation fully complies with all aspects of the Freedom of Information Act (FOI) 2000, Data Protection Act (DPA) 2018.
What you’ll be doing
- Lead on the administration of responses to requests under the Freedom of Information Act across the organisation and provide expert advice to the organisation on Freedom of Information issues
- Lead on the administration of personal data requests across the organisation and provide support to the Data Protection Officer in ensuring compliance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EUGDPR
- Support teams and Senior Leaders to ensure compliance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Data Protection Act 2018 e.g. responding queries, providing advice and assistance as the first line of support for technical queries
- Support teams to identify and source relevant information for requests, apply exemptions under the legislation and redact information as necessary
- Identify and provide expert advice on application of exemptions and work with the legal team to ensure that exemptions are applied appropriately and effectively
- Develop and deliver a Freedom of Information awareness and training programme for new joiners and current organisation staff of all levels.
- Ensure a record is maintained of requests for access to information and the outcome, i.e. whether the information was supplied or if the request was refused on what basis the decision was reached.
- Oversee publication of FOI responses on the organisation’s website.
- Oversee investigations into complaints about breaches of the Act and appeals against refusal of request decisions and undertake reporting/remedial action as required. Maintain a log of any incidents and remedial recommendations and actions
- Maintain up to date knowledge of best practice in FOI and Personal Data Requests and any relevant legislative changes.
- Provide statistical reporting related to compliance and maintain internal statistics related to the performance of the team in relation to internal and external standards.
- Recommend practice, process and procedural changes in how the organisation manages requests for information to the Information, Knowledge and Systems Manager and take a lead in implementing agreed process changes.
This role requires the post holder to work autonomously and flexibly to ensure that the organisation complies with the legal obligations under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Data Protection Act 2018. Requests are often complex and include material that is sensitive and relating to law enforcement activity. An important part of this role is to manage and balance the risks of ensuring compliance when dealing with this type of information. This role requires the post holder to translate technical legal requirements in the application of exemptions where sound judgement is crucial.
Key Working Relationships
This role requires the post holder to work with staff at all levels, but particularly senior management, to meet statutory deadlines. The management of the FOI process requires negotiating with Senior Leadership Group to manage the agreement for the use of exemptions and manage the risk of disclosing information.
Why you’ll be hired
To be considered for this role you will require:
- Relevant qualification, degree or relevant experience in a similar environment
- Experience of providing leadership in Freedom of Information administration/advice
- Demonstrate clear knowledge of Freedom of Information Act
- Experience of providing leadership in Data Protection administration/advice
- Advanced IT skills including the use of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Working knowledge of personal data legislation including Data Protection Act 2018.
- Ability to negotiate and liaise with internal and external stakeholders, ensuring effective service delivery
- Proven track record of successfully meeting objectives and achieving planned results, to tight deadlines
- Ability to think and act creatively in dealing with information request issues
- Confident in, resolving problems and highly skilled at advising and influencing
- Good written communication skills particularly in responding to the public and liaising with internal stakeholders
- Can communicate freedom of information concepts and principles to internal and external stakeholders of all levels
- Ability to work flexibly, both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work effectively and provide leadership to members of the IM and IT team to ensure that freedom of information procedures are supported with appropriate technical developments.
- Able to manage effective relationships with external stakeholders.
- Close attention to detail with a thorough and methodical approach to tasks
- Able to effectively manage own time and workload and balance conflicting requirements
- High level of personal integrity, professionalism and confidentiality
- Demonstrate a high standard of attention to detail
Why you should apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone to continue developing their skills while being part of a collaborative team.